Tuesday, April 29, 2008

the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

So I've been reading some on this thing thats been going on with this religious sect. in Texas. I went to check my mail yesterday on AOL and saw that their children had been taken away for the most part in order to establish whether they could bring up a custody battle against these people.

They keep bringing up these figures saying that,
"A total of 53 girls between the ages of 14 and 17 are in state custody after a raid 3 1/2 weeks ago at the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado. Of those girls, 31 either have children or are pregnant, said Child Protective Services spokesman Darrell Azar. He didn't specify how many are pregnant."

While I would love to jump on the news media bandwagon with this one and watch how yet another religion goes and ruins itself. I'm not really down with how this story is being covered in the media.



They keep talking about how this sect is forcing young girls to marry older men, yet none of these older men or younger girls are being shown. The only pictures we see are of older women and young children. Its not that I discredit the reports that this has been happening, I just think that the level of journalism is not on par for the source of the news media that is reporting on the story.

I also think that policy has failed again here. There is no regulation about supportive community living and being on welfare. There is also no policy in place that prevents minors from marrying men over 40.


What I'm wondering most is where the 14-17 year old boys are on this compound. Are they being kept away from the girls as to reduce competition? What are they being brainwashed to believe?

No comments: