Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Assignment #51

Prompt:
Describe what to do with your body when you die.


Don’t let anyone hold my body after I’m really truly dead, please don’t let anyone look at it much either. The image of my mother holding my dead father in her arms still haunts me to this day. I don’t want anyone I love traumatized by a similar image of my remains after I die. I try my best to remember my father alive, happy and healthy rather than what he was reduced to after the onset of 4 stages of cancer. Please cremate it immediately after removing the useful and recyclable organs. Save a handful of my ashes for anyone that wants it. They can keep them or release them anywhere they please.
Hopefully by the time I die I’ll have found my perfect someone. I would like my ashes to fertilize a tree in an urban area (somewhere close to him, be he dead or living), use it for a plot that would otherwise have a very hard time growing without the help of my organic material. Please find somewhere close to where my loved ones resides. Put a plaque or some sort of mark to where my loved ones can find this tree and maybe even chose to do the same with their ashes near by, a sort of urban organic cemetery.
Let people decorate this tree with art. They can paint the bark (with paint that won’t hurt the tree) or hang stuff from it’s branches. Don’t make visiting the tree about honoring my memory, make visiting the tree about exploring personal creativity and family history.

No comments: